Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blankets: Chapters 8-9

I found it strange that so many people did not enjoy Blankets as we were discussing it in class the other day. I personally loved it and was confused as to why such animosity was present. Some claimed that the novel’s overall content was not interesting enough to fully justify the level of egocentricity it transmits. I disagree.

Maybe I am partial to Craig’s story because I find it so easy to correlate it to my own life, but I did not find Craig’s experiences in church and church camp and his relationship with Raina to be as inconsequential as others seemed to believe. Some people gave the impression that they did not believe the book had an underlying thesis to warrant its length and subject matter. However, I believe Craig’s final monologue in chapter 9 brings everything together.

He spends so much time worrying about his religion and his relationship with Raina that he doesn’t realize how insignificant those things are in the grand scheme of his life. His obsessive nature doesn’t allow him to look beyond his immediate reality. In the end, however, even holidays with family are reduced to mnemonic device. While Craig will always remember his religious experiences and Raina, he refuses to let them control his life in the way they once did.           

No comments: