Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stuck Rubber Baby- First Impressions

Again, this is the sort of graphic novel I think I prefer- the kind that focuses on realistic situations and personal issues at an intimate level. I read Howard Cruse's "Acknowledgments" at the end of the novel, and I was surprised to learn that the book is a work of fiction. The realistic quality of the situations in Stuck Rubber Baby is enhanced by the detailed manner with which Cruse describes his characters and their interests, and I assume it would be easy for any reader to think they were reading an illustrated memoir. I have to give major props for that sort of intricacy.

The reading is a bit slower, as the lettering is small and there's a lot of it, but I have to admit I love the way Cruse chooses to bold certain words in almost every text bubble. Just as a poet might use meter to emphasize certain words within a line of verse, Cruse's choice to make certain words bold works to enhance the overall meaning taken away from a single bubble. Maybe I'll elaborate on this using a specific panel for my next post...

No comments: