Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Rant on Ranting

Ok, so I just finished writing my manifesto, and I have to say it was an extremely enjoyable experience. Ranting is something I love to do in my spare time anyway, so having the opportunity to do it as an assignment was fun indeed! Normally it takes me a long while to write essays, but the manifesto encourages a sort of stream-of-consciousness that essays do not permit, and I finished the assignment in record time, feeling like I could have ranted for at least a few more pages.

Having the opportunity to write in a number of formats has been a fairly rewarding experience. The blog, the wiki, the manifesto- while I am used to writing critical essays, I have found experimenting with these other modes of communication to be a good experience overall. In my manifesto, which discusses comics in relation to the writing process, I make the claim that students should be required to make comics of their own in order to think critically about using multimodal formats to create meaning that words alone cannot. For this reason, I am looking forward to the upcoming comic-creation assignment. Hopefully it will be as rewarding as I claim it will be in my manifesto.

No comments: