Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Short Observation on Color

I guess I never really thought about it until McCloud mentioned it in Understanding Comics, but I don't think I ever fully realized how important bright primary colors are to comics. This is probably because I spent my entire childhood obsessing over Spawn comics, which tend to be very dark, but even Spawn has his iconic bright red cape. Looking back over the old Wonder Woman comics on our wiki, I am noticing that bright reds, yellows, greens and blues make up the primary color scheme of the comics. I find McCloud's argument that these bright color schemes work to promote comics over the numbing black and white newspaper print interesting, but I can't decide if I completely agree. It must be more complicated than that considering the two genres are being tailored to two different audiences. However, I have to admit that the bright primary colors used in some comics have probably significantly helped some super heros (Superman for example) become the cultural icons they are today.

No comments: